Now that it’s officially summer, most of us (even those with food blogs) don’t want to spend all that glorious sunshine time inside. But…I still want real food. I want it to taste good and be all pretty with lots of color. I want it to be cooked relatively fast because I want to go out and play.
I want this.
Chicken salad. Who loves chicken salad? I love chicken salad, and admittedly I never, ever make it. Why? Why I ask as I devoured this for lunch. I mean devour. Gone in 60 seconds (not really, but I’m sure some record was set).
The whole avocado bowl part comes to use from Chile, and thus called Palta Reina. Yup, still plugging through South America. Avocados are quite plentiful there, and as such, can be found in any number of dishes. Or, in this case, as the dish itself. While chicken salad seems to be the favorite as far as the filling, I’ve also seen recipes out there for tuna or shrimp salad as well. Get creative with it.
There are bazillion chicken salad recipes out there, some healthy, some not. Mine is, and I’m basing it off one served in between croissants at Apple Crisp’s bridal shower more than 6 years ago. I’ve sort of kept it in the back of my mind, and figured now was as good as a time as any to bust it out. Suffice it to say there is nothing Chilean about this version. It’s pure Kenosha, Wisconsin.
So…the parts. Let’s see…
Greek yogurt rather than mayo (note the brand snobbery) for creaminess.
Dried cranberries for some sweet.
Stone-ground Dijon for some heat.
Almonds for some crunch.
Parsley for some color.
Tarragon for a little sumpin’ sumpin’. Don’t don’t like tarragon? I didn’t either. Just give it a try. Be brave.
This was the perfect meal for one. Or, how cute would this be at a bridal/baby shower or picnic? Amiright? You can even cheat with it and used canned chicken or that from your local prepared foods’ aisle. No judgement here.
- 1 large Hass avocado
- 1 4-5 ounce chicken breast
- 1/4 cup Fage o% Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp stone ground Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried tarragon (or, to taste)
- 2 TB dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 TB whole almonds, coarsely chopped (or, 1 TB slivered almonds)
- 1 TB fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the broiler.
- Prepare the chicken breast by seasoning with salt and pepper on both sides. Place the chicken on a foil lined baking sheet, and broiled on the first side for 7 minutes, flip and broil on the second side 5 minutes, adjusting depending on thickness. Alternatively, you can grill the chicken. Set aside to rest for at least 10 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, coarsely chop or shred with two forks. Your preference.
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, mustard, salt, pepper, tarragon and parsley. Mix well and season to taste. Add to the shredded chicken along with the cranberries and almonds.
- Slice the avocado in half and take out the pit. Divide the chicken salad mixture between the halves halves and serve.
- Can be filled with tuna salad as well.
Featured on Today!
Pack your culinary bags and keep up with the deliciousness! Follow me on: