One morning in recent weekends past, I simultaneously made myself breakfast while making my no-churn for the week (mint, in case you were wondering) and it turns out the coffee was done brewing just as I emptied the can of sweetened condensed milk. Kismet, if you will. The answer to this situation seemed obvious and my coffee had the oh-so-wonderful hint of the liquid heaven that lingers in the can after it’s been emptied.
A delicious way to start the day.
And with that, this drink also became obvious.
Because coffee is great, can’t we all agree? I think that while it’s so necessary in the morning, sometimes it’s just as necessary at night. It’s these times though that a little sumpin-sumpin extra might be needed.
Growing up, my parents seemed to entertain a lot and I always, always remember them serving coffee with Kahlua for dessert, so alcoholic coffee after hours was just a given. With that idea in mind, I figured there HAD to be a Caribbean twist on this, and I was right.
Rum, spiced is nice
and a little cinnamon addition from moi.
This recipe is strong because it’s summer and our drinks should be strong. However, for someone like me who’s not quite use to strong, I definitely uttered a WHOA when I took a sip…before I took another. Adjust the alcohol to your taste, keeping the 1:1 ratio of liquor: rum. One recipe I found out there added brandy to the mix. I don’t have that kind of tolerance, but I’m sure if you want to go that route, it’ll put some hair on your chest.
- 2 cups coffee, brewed, hot
- 3 ounces coffee flavored liquor
- 3 ounces dark spiced rum
- Cinnamon to garnish
- Sweetened whipped cream (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 TB granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a chilled bowl, add all the ingredients and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Add 1 1/2 ounces of each rum and liquor to each coffee cup. Ad the hot coffee and top with the whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- For added umph, brew the coffee with a bit of cinnamon added to the grounds
Pack your culinary bags and keep up with the deliciousness! Follow me on: