Vacation being over is the worst. The family and I are all heading home today. All into ice storms. It seems that, while our respective cities threw tantrums on the day we left (though we did all make it out okay and on time), it seems that neither want us to come home.
It was a good trip, the first that we’d taken together in a very long time. Too long, and we all made it out alive, smiling, with nothing but good memories to take home with us. I also got a wand because…impulses.* It ended last night sitting in a hot tub watching fireworks. Does it get better than that?
Maybe, with these tacos. These Five Spice Duck Tacos with Pineapple Black Bean Guacamole (oof, it’s a mouthful and a lot of words, but to eliminate one descriptor would fail to do the dish justice, and surely we don’t want that). Because it’s Taco Tuesday and nothing gets one back into the swing of real life like a good meal to remind us that being an adult is okay sometimes, too.
I love duck, and I always forget that we’re friends. I was reminded of our camaraderie on my last vacation, Temeculaw, and I’ve had a hankering for making it at home ever since. I can’t remember where I had those righteous duck tacos, but I remember them being perfect in the way they blended Asian flavors with California freshness which, I guess, is one of the hallmarks of Californian cuisine. I did that here with a five-spice rub on broiled duck breast, drizzled with hoisin sauce and topped with some pineapple black bean guac which, is so awesome, that it may become your go-to guac, because everyone needs a go-to guac.
It all comes together so quickly that you’ll be on the couch with your feet up in less than 30 minutes after getting home. Golly, it’s almost like you’re on vacation.
- 2 skin-on duck breasts
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 2 TB hoisin sauce
- 2 large avocados, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, diced
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 dashes tobacco
- ½ cup crushed pineapple
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- corn or flour tortillas
- shredded red cabbage
- Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle the five spice powder evenly over each duck breast. Slice diagonal slits into the skin, and place them, skin side up, on a foil-lined broiling pan. Cook five minutes on the first side, flip and continue cooking about 5 minutes on the second, until the duck is thoroughly cooked. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Make the guacamole by mixing up everything in a bowl, smashing the avocado with a fork to blend it well with all the ingredients.
- Assemble each taco with the cabbage, duck, a drizzle of hoisin and guacamole.
*My wand chose me at Ollivander’s and because I’m
35 34 (OMG I completely aged myself unnecessarily) and like age-appropriate toys and lack self-control, I bought one. Thirteen 1/2 inches, hazel, unicorn hair. Strangely, very accurate.
Written after the hot tub.Pin It