Lamb burgers seasoned with Sri Lankan spices and topped with an onion salad
Burger week is coming to a close on THB. I hope that I’ve left you prepared for all the grilling that will take place this weekend, or at least give you some ideas on how to mix up your barbecue to give it some flava. Both the bobotie burger and the kibbeh burger do that in spades.
This last burger started stewing in my brain from the first time I made its inspiration dish, The Best Ever Sri Lankan Beef Curry. I was just so blown away by everything about that original recipe that I knew there just had to be a way to apply this to everyday food, all year ’round. Burger it was.
So last July 4th when I went back home to The Mitten, Mom and I tried it out and it was everything I wanted it to be and more. She agreed, and since then I’ve been waiting for the perfect time to make it, and here we are.
Meat of choice today is lamb because it adds a heartiness that compliments the spice mix in such an amazing way. Also, because I didn’t want to detract from the burger itself, no fancy condiments on this one, but a simple onion salad. No ketchup or mustard. Just onions and go.
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 4 TB grated onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 6 curry leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TB chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamon pods, crushed and seeds removed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 limes juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 hamburger buns
- Make the onion salad first so that it has a chance to sit while the burgers cook. This can also be made ahead. Mix the onions and lime juice in a medium sized bowl and add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind up the curry leaves, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom seeds and cloves until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lamb, onion, garlic, ginger, and spices. With your hands, combine well and form into 4 uniform patties.
- Grill about 3 minutes per side, depending on how you like your lamb cooked. Once they are cooked to desired amount, set aside to rest about 5 minutes.
- Assemble the burgers, topping each one with onion salad.
Written after Saturday groceries.