Thick cut bread is topped with roasted and seasoned mushrooms and Gruyere cheese and broiled to make these French Mushroom Toasts
I, like so many of my friends, internet and real, have gotten way into the avocado toast craze. I get it. But aren’t there so many other equally delicious ways to eat toast? Let’s explore.
We’ve had many a discussion on my love affair with bread and try as I might to cut it out completely, that’s the break up where I ain’t too proud to beg. I do love a good thick cut slice of toast simply put with butter and jam (or, JIF and jam) to start the day, but because I’m digging the savory, I was trying to think of other flavors I love to up my toast gave with some fall flair, and the ooey, gooey-ness of French Onion Soup came to mind and the wonderfulness of melted, soggy yet crusty Gruyere topped crouton. Taking those same flavors into the ‘shroom realm, I came up with French Mushroom Toast, with or without a runny egg as you wish, perfect to throw together for one, or for many.
I mean, why should avocados and onions have all the fun?
The mushrooms are roasted in this because, you know how when you saute them on the stove you have to keep adding loads of butter or oil to keep them from getting dry and bleh? Not so in the oven. One pat of butter did the trick, and after 30 minutes these babies were nice and soft, finished on the stove top with a touch of sherry and set until the broiler to finish off the effect.
Back to the bread, I went with some good hearty rye. This just isn’t just any rye, but comes from a tiny old school bakery here in Chicago and transports me back to to my childhood and the caraway-and-fennel-less, hearty crusty rye that we used to get from the Ontario Bakery. Use the bread of your choice, but remember since this is a substantial topping, I’d suggest using a more substantial bread.
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 TB unsalted butter
- 2 TB dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 thick cut slices rye bread, or your favorite
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 4 eggs, sunny side up (optional)
- Parsley to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In an oven-proof saute pan, add the mushrooms, thyme, butter, salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes until soft. Remove from the oven, and turn on the broiler.
- Put the saute pan on the stove top over medium-high heat and add the sherry. Cook until the liquid, or most of it, has evaporated.
- While the mushrooms are on the stove, toast the bread to desired done-ness.
- Place the 4 slices of toast on a cookie sheet. Top each with 1/4 mushroom and 1/4 cup cheese. Place under the broiler, until cheese is melted, about 1 minute, keeping an eye on it, careful that it doesn't burn. As you wish, top with an egg and enjoy!
Written after I punched the clock.Pin It