Spiced quinoa is topped with a combination of fruit and nuts and completed with warm milk for a hearty fall breakfast bowl
A mere few days after I sat lamenting to you all about all the sweat, I sit here watching October baseball wearing a lot of fleece, plus slippers, under a very warm blanket. Oh, Mother Nature, how you toy with me and my emotions.
Bracing for the inevitable below-warm temperatures, and knowing that my trusty chai spiced almond meal breakfast bowl (which I’ve been eating religiously for the past a lot of months), would not cut it soon, I’ve been trying to figure a suitable breakfast that would not only be hearty but also keep me full. Oatmeal, I love ya, but I can barely make it to ten o’clock. As I was digging through my mind and the archives, I came across this from How Sweet It Is and figured that quinoa…well, that just might be the ticket.
I modeled this after the sweet pearl couscous I made a long time ago, and added cinnamon, cloves and honey to my quinoa base. In keeping the Moroccan theme alive, I topped mine with dried apricots, dried cranberries, toasted pistachios and candied lemon (which, I made from scratch). However, it really is choose your own adventure, and I also made one with bananas, berries and almonds because I have issues making decisions. Whatever you choose, finish it all with warm milk and an extra drizzle of honey.
Since most food for me is all about the toppings, I think this winter breakfast and the endless possibilities will keep me warm and full all season, rut-free.
- 1 cup quinoa (I used red, but any will do)
- 2 cups water
- 1 TB cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 2 TB honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 TB roasted pistachios
- 6 TB dried cranberries
- 6 dried apricots, diced
- 2 1/2 cups milk, warmed
- 3 TB honey, to drizzle
- candied lemon peel (optional)
- Make the quinoa. In a medium saucepan (or a rice cooker), add the quinoa, water, cinnamon, honey, salt and cloves. Give it a good stir and cook until all the water is absorbed.
- Divide the quinoa in between 6 bowls, Top each with 1 TB each of pistachios, apricot bits, and cranberries. Pour 1/2 cup milk over each one and finish with a drizzle of honey and a bit of candied lemon peel.
- Don't like these toppings? You do you!
Written at early in the third, man on first. Cubs lead 1-0.