Did I ever tell you that barbecue is one of my favorite things ever? Well, it is, mostly because it involves meat, usually some sort of fried potato thing and also some bread of sorts. All my loves, rolled into one.
I don’t much make it at home, but if I’m out and about, a BBQ joint is usually pretty high on my “always craving it list.” I’m still looking for THE PLACE to go in A2, so for now we have to settle with getting saucy at home, and that’s fine by me.
I have made a few iterations in the past (like this apple cider pulled pork), and loved them all (especially this Carolina mustard BBQ, which I swore in my heart that I’d hate, but ended up loving almost the most). It just goes to show that my BBQ love does not discriminate.
Today’s sauciness is inspired by one of my favorite Chicago BBQ joints, Porkchop, and as such I’m doing my best to copycat their Chicago-style sauce. With vodka and rosemary, it was not an easy flavor to forget and one that I’ve had on my to-make list since I had the original so many months ago. With a few tweaks here and there, and one large red splash around my cooktop, I’m happy to say that I got my version just right.
And thanks to some stowaway ribs from last weekend’s festivities, I had ribs at the ready as my sauce-vehicle of choice. A spoon, honestly, works equally well.
- 1 cup (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 TB Dijon mustard
- 4 TB light brown sugar
- 2 TB white vinegar
- 2 TB Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) vodka
- 2 TB tomato paste
- 1 TB fresh rosemary, minced
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add all the ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Once it boils, reduce the heat to low and let simmer until desired thickness, about 20-25 minutes.
Unrelated, but equally important; today is Amazon Prime Day, and I’m going to give a mid-year shout for some of my favorite things so-far from 2017 because word on the street is that some of these things might, just might, be on sale! Yay sales! For the rest of this year’s favorites, you’ll have to wait until November!
- Remember the Smoked Honey Buttermilk Ice Cream I made at the start of summer? Well, that was made possible by this, and if you grab it now, you, too, can indulge before summer’s up!
- Remember the babka (and this awesome watch)? Well, it is one of my favorite accessories, and pssst it’ll be 30% off today!&$
- & 4. Need some beach reads? These are two that I couldn’t put down recently. Delicious! was fun, and I may have cried uncontrollably reading the other.
- Addicted. ADDICTED. To this ginger beer.
- And finally, I know it’s hard to think of boots at this time of year, but I can’t stress enough how they saved me this past winter. It’s coming before we know it!
Happy shopping and happy barbecuing!
**This post contains affiliate links.