This recipe was supposed to be part of another recipe (coming later this week) but I didn’t want to get lost in the shuffle because it’s so good. I often make really delicious salads (salsa? salad? what’s the difference?*) for garnishes that can really stand on their own but often times I forget that they’re there and they fade into memory (remember that great corn salad from last week?). This one, I want to keep at the forefront.
I made this mango coconut salsa/salad to top a burger (wait for it) and then with one bite I knew that it could eat the whole bowl, without the burger. It’s so simple and so versatile and just so…summer. Perfect for the season’s last barbecue, perfect for that day-long picnic, or as a garnish for a burger, a wrap, some fish, or even eggs.
lemon (yup, not lime)
I’d say no cooking but the coconut has to be toasted to give it some color, crunch and a bit more flavor. That takes no more than 10 minutes, so the time commitment for this bowl of beauty is less than an episode of Grace & Frankie**.
- 1 red onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 whole mangos, diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- In a dry skillet over medium heat, add the coconut flakes, Cook until toasted, about 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes to prevent them from burning.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized bowl, add the remaining ingredients. Give it a mix. Just before serving, add the toasted coconut (leaving it in longer will make it soggy). Serve!
*Salsa is actually the Mexican word for sauce. So, not the same as a salad at all. As such, this is a mango-coconut salad.
**Have you watched yet? I love everyone in it- it’s cracking me up these days.