Do you struggle with breakfast?
I sometimes struggle with breakfast. I’ll eat the same things for months (or years, really) on end without fail until something happens that makes me want to change it up.
Past choices: egg white omelets (all of law school), english muffins with peanut butter (Hurricane Katrina semester), oatmeal with coffee mate (yes- try it- awesome), pumpkin bread, brown bread (all at various points in my Chicago life), granola + rice krispies (currently, post-Chicago life).
Now that we’re really transitioning into fall, I’m starting to play the “what am I going to eat for breakfast?” game in my head. I’m not quite ready for the heft and warmth of a big bowl of oats, but I’m also not ready to give up the granola that’s been sustaining me these summer months. Therefore, a compromise: granola, spiced for the season, but with diced pears that signal the coming of cooler times.
I mentioned a few weeks ago that I’ve discovered a newfound love of Chinese five-spice powder, and I’m using it again here to season my granola in a little something-different way. Oats, pecans, almonds, flax seeds and walnuts are baked with spice, salt, honey and coconut oil until golden brown.
Have you made granola before? It’s easy, you can do it.
(oh dear, ignore my dry hands…and send lotion)
Brown, ripe Bosc pears are diced and tossed with honey and sugar for some fruit and crunch and sweet and pizzaz.
Finally, the two are layered with yogurt. Pick your fave, but I think vanilla or plain Greek is your best bet.
I mean, look at those layers!
Though fall was my pretense, a happy breakfast for all the year ’round.
- 4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Organic Thick Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup chopped salted pecans
- 1 cup chopped Bob’s Red Mill Walnut Halves
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Sliced Almonds
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Brown Flaxseeds
- 4 tsp, heaping, Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 4 large Bosc pears, cored and diced
- 2 TB sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Yogurt, preferably vanilla or plain Greek
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, add the oats, nuts, seeds, and spices. Mix with a wooden spoon until all is combined. In a microwave safe measure, warm the honey and coconut oil until melted and thoroughly combined. Give it a stir.
- Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and mix until all the oats are coated.
- Spread evenly on a parchment-lined, rimmed cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Stir the mixture and rotate the sheet pan. Bake an additional 10 minutes until golden brown. Set aside and let cool.
- While the granola is cooking, toss the pears, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- Once the granola has cooled completely, in each of four glasses, add 1/4 cup granola, 1/4 cup yogurt and 1/8 of the pears. Repeat twice in each glass to make two layers of each.
- Store remaining granola in an airtight container.
This post was sponsored by the folks at Bob’s Red Mill, but all ramblings and gibberish are my own. Thanks for supporting those that support THB!